Saturday, August 19, 2006

10-Second Film Reviews #1

Tougher than Brett Favre, wittier than Michael Wilbon and faster than a Phoenix Sun fastbreak: it's my 10-second film reviews!

Movies I've seen this past week, along with my Netflix ratings:

Human Tornado: If you've seen a Rudy Ray Moore flick before, you know what to expect: excessive cursing, bad acting, lots of gunfire and gratuitous nudity (unfortunately Moore gets naked too). A handful of hysterical moments. Not as good or memorable as Dolemite, but way better than Disco Godfather. (**)

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Unrated): Highly entertaining first half. Then the film devolves into an unearned and unwanted melodrama. I was laughing consistently, but always felt it was against my will. Characters are undeveloped and the movie's way too long at 133 minutes. (***)

Serpico: Al Pacino is in full effect. Very engrossing plot (based on a true story) involving a NYPD undercover trying to fight the corrupt system. One in a long line of high-quality, anti-establishment 70's flicks. It's a little long, and sometimes arguments substitute genuine conflict. One of the best films I've seen in a while. (*****)

Hopefully I'll watch enough movies to make this a weekly thing.

No comments: