Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sports Suicide?

I'm not exactly sure how this will work, or how long it will work, but it's going to happen.

I'm going to live without cable television.

At least for the immediate future... no ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, TNT, Comedy Central, Food Network and the rest. This might be a death knell not only for this blog, but for me as well. I'm sure tears are being shed from coast to coast.

However, all is not lost. There's still plenty of sports for us poor bastards rockin' the bunny ears. College football has SEC games on CBS and ABC represents the Pac-10 on Saturday afternoons (plus I'll be at the Coliseum on some Saturdays, so I won't be home to watch TV anyway). CBS, FOX and NBC will more than suffice on NFL Sundays. No more MNF, which simply means more Simpsons and Seinfeld on Mondays. The World Series is still on FOX. And, of course, there's NBA LEAGUE PASS Broadband for my basketball fix. College basketball is the one major sport that I won't be really watching. Hopefully I'll find time to visit the Galen Center a few times.

No cable TV also means I miss out on a lot of sports shows. I have to say goodbye to PTI, Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight, NBA Fastbreak, NFL Primetime and many others. But I also kiss off First and 10, Stephen A., Around the Horn and all ESPN Original Movies. That's a wash in my book. At least there's TNT Overtime to watch Inside the NBA replays. Which I will. Over and over again.

The more that I think about it, not having cable TV doesn't sound so bad at all. I mean, I didn't watch TV at all during my freshman year and I survived. So maybe life without cable TV won't be so bad.

NOTE: I failed to mention the NHL, but I never got OLN channel to begin with. But really, who still watches hockey?

No comments: