Saturday, April 07, 2007

Crazy/Courageous Person Swims the Amazon

SI.com:
After 3,272 miles of exhaustion, sunburn, delirium and piranhas, a 52-year-old Slovenian successfully completed a swim down the Amazon river Saturday that could set a new world record for distance -- one he's broken three times already.

He said he was lucky to have escaped encounters with piranhas, the dreaded toothpick fish, which swims into body orifices to suck blood, and even bull sharks that swim in shallow waters and can live for a while in fresh water.

"I think the animals have just accepted me," he said. "I've been swimming with them for such a long time that they must think I'm one of them now. I still have dolphins swimming with me."
In case you didn't know, this is how piranhas roll:



Wow. I salute you, Mr. Martin Strel.

No comments: