Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jemele Hill Takes Imus to Task

Last time I wrote about ESPN.com's Page 2 Jemele Hill I was criticizing her notion that Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan. This time I'm commending her for taking a stand against Don Imus.

In case you haven't heard, Imus is a rather popular radio personality who described the Rutgers women's basketball team as "rough girls" and "nappy-headed ho's." Imus almost hit the trifecta on stereotyping and belittling an entire demographic. I would almost be impressed if I weren't so flabbergasted.

Even his "apology" on Al Sharpton's radio show yesterday was... well, you figure out what Imus was sorry for:

"Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far. And this time we went way too far."

"How am I unscathed by this? Don't you think I'm humiliated?"

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it"

So what is Imus sorry about: the fact some remarks have landed him in hot water or that he may be a racist? I sure didn't see any apology to the Rutgers basketball team in there. To be fair, Imus is meeting the team in the near future so maybe -- hopefully -- this situation can finally be put behind everyone.

On a side note, Don Imus says something insulting yet legal and gets a two-week suspension while Colin Cowherd purports an illegal on-air attack and escapes relatively unscathed.

No comments: