Time to separate the fakers from the realists. Are you a diehard fan or do you dust off that purple and gold flag every spring?
Take the Lakers Litmus Test and find out which Laker you are based on your knowledge of the team's history. Write down your answers as you go along.
Easy: 1 point
1) Prior to Los Angeles what city was home to the Lakers? If you don't know this you might as well stop right now.
2) Before the Staples Center was built where did the Lakers play?
3) Who currently owns the Lakers?
4) Which player on the Lakers has a dad who is the head coach of another NBA team?
5) If college had been mandatory for Kobe Bryant he would have played basketball for which university?
6) What Laker great is the silhouette on the NBA logo?
7) Who had one of the greatest performances in a NBA Finals game with 42 points, 15 rebounds and 7 assists while playing at the center position?
8) Which two current Lakers are local boys, having grown up in Southern California and played college ball at UCLA? Must identity both players for one point.
9) Who is the only person to win a title as a Laker player and then later as the Laker head coach?
10) What was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's government name?
11) Who was the late, great play-by-play announcer for the Lakers?
Moderate: 2 points
1) Who is the all-time franchise leader in points?
2) What player did the Lakers lose in free agency that gave them the first pick in the 1979 draft as compensation?
3) Which pioneer of the triangle offense was Phil Jackson's long-time right-hand man?
4) Name the colleges these Lakers attended: Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher. One point for each correct answer.
5) Who did the Lakers select with their first-round pick in the 2008 draft?
6) Who was Shaq's first Laker head coach?
7) In 1997 Kobe became the NBA Slam Dunk Champion by emulating a move from a former dunk champion and future teammate. Who was this player and what was his dunk called? One point for each correct answer.
Hard: 3 points
1) How many NBA championships have the Lakers won?
2) Who is the only Laker to ever win NBA Defensive Player of the Year?
3) Who is the only Laker to ever win NBA Rookie of the Year?
4) The Lakers have not won a championship since this fan favorite big man left town as a free agent.
5) During the Lakers three-peat earlier this decade there were 7 players who played in the postseason for all three championship teams. Name them. One point for three correct answers. Two points for six correct answers. Three points for all seven.
Have all your responses ready? Hurry up because the answers are right down there!
Answers coming up!
1.2 Great Western Forum
1.3 Jerry Buss
1.4 Coby Karl
1.6 Jerry West
1.7 Magic Johnson
1.8 Trevor Ariza and Jordan Farmar
1.9 Pat Riley
1.10 Lew Alcindor
1.11 Chick Hearn
11 possible points
2.1 Jerry West
2.2 Gail Goodrich
2.3 Tex Winter
2.4 Rhode Island, Arkansas-Little Rock
2.5 Trick question; it was traded to Memphis in the Pau Gasol deal
2.6 Del Harris
2.7 Isaiah Rider, East Bay Funk Dunk
14 possible points
3.2 Michael Cooper
3.3 Elgin Baylor
3.4 Mark Madsen
3.5 Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Devean George and Brian Shaw
15 possible points
Count up all your points.
Got your final score? Great. Now find out which Laker you are:
(0-4) Slava Medvedenko - You suck
(5-9) Kwame Brown - Never could get it together
(10-13) Smush Parker - Way too arrogant and lackadaisical
(14-16) Nick Van Exel - Reckless with limited repertoire
(17-19) Eddie Jones - Brief flashes of brilliance
(20-22) Byron Scott - Deserves respect
(23-25) James Worthy - Solid all-around game
(26-28) Elgin Baylor - Surprising people with your talent
(29-31) Kobe Bryant - Humble yourself to achieve greatness
(32-34) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Got game but people hate you
(35-37) Shaquille O'Neal - If only you worked a little harder...
(38-40) Magic Johnson - As close to perfection there is.
For the record I hate the Lakers =)
...and scored 27, which means I'm running the Clippers =(